This is going to be another short post.
Working on an Exchange migration this weekend, I was using our backup software to simply export users mailbox’s from the most recent backup of your old Exchange server, then importing them into the new Exchange server for each mailbox after creation.
I would have loved to have simply selected each user as a whole and import those pst files. However from testing showed it simply created a sub item with the users name and all their folders, instead of properly placing them under the primary parent hierarchy. So I was forced to export Each item individually (Inbox, Sent Items,Drafts, Etc) and Import them. I initially didn’t script this as there were only about 30-40 users I had to migrate, i figured it was easier to just go through the wizards… until I discovered some users created folders outside of their Inbox! Ohhh boy…. Anyway, turns out if you exceed 9 imports for a single mailbox without specifying a special name for it (even after they succeed) you will get en error as follows:
“The name must be unique per mailbox. There isn’t a default name available for a new request owned by mailbox xyz”
The solution was easy enough to find a good band-aid indeed.
Get-MailboxImportRequest -status completed | Remove-MailboxImportRequest
However sometimes in my case I found I was still getting there error even though I cleared all completed import requests (with default names obviously). I found out I was having a weird bug happen to be where imports where showing as Queued, yet if I piped them into Get-MailboxImportRequestStatstics | Select Status, they reported a status of Completed…(If you want all the details, pipe into Format-List, instead of Select)
Get-MailboxImportRequest -status Queued | Get-MailboxImportRequestStatstics | Select Status
lol I wasn’t sure what to make of this but there was 2 solutions.
- Clear the “Queued” imports that are really Completed.
- Give your new import a unique name using the -name parameter
I’ll admit though Exchange 2016 is more intuitive to manage then old Exchange 2010.