ESXi Update Network Config Failed
Set ESXi IP via CLI

Real quick post here. I was moving my ESXi hosts and vCenter to a new dedicated subnet. I did the usual; had a temp Windows System in the new subnet, create VMK with temp IP in new subnet, connect to ESXi Web UI via new Temp IP in new Subnet via temp Windows machine. Reconfigure default TCP/IP stack default gateway, change VMK0 IP address (and edit management port group VLAN id if applicable). and Away I’d go.

However on this one host for some unknown stupid reason it would simply fail “Failed – An Error occurred during host configuration”, and the detailed log was just as vague “operation failed diagnostics report unable to set network unreachable” OK… whatever, that shouldn’t matter do as I tell you! Here’s a snippet of the error, and the CLI command that simply worked without bitching.

I just figured let’s try the CLI way and see if it worked, and it turns out it did. The source I used to figure out the command syntax.

The commands I used:

Get IPs:

esxcli network ip interface ipv4 get

Set new IP:

esxcli network ip interface ipv4 set -i vmk1 -I 1.1.1.1 -N 255.255.255.0 -t static

Hope this helps someone.

Removing “Network” from File Explorer

SOURCE: Winareo

Update I wouldn’t recommend this way.

  1. Go to the following Registry key:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{F02C1A0D-BE21-4350-88B0-7367FC96EF3C}\ShellFolder
  2. Set the value data of the DWORD value Attributes to b0940064.If you are running a 64-bit operating system, repeat the steps above for the following Registry key:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{F02C1A0D-BE21-4350-88B0-7367FC96EF3C}}\ShellFolder

The Issue with this method is it requires you to take ownership of the key, usually by running regedit as system using psexec. I thought maybe if I created a GPO to deploy these  settings it would work, but instead got Error Code: 0x80070005, which apprently means access denied.

After farting around a bit down a rabbit hole about HKCR and how it’s apparently derived from HCLM\Software\Classes. I then decided to simply ask Google how to remove that icon via a GPO as much easier techniques usually exist. Where I found this Spice works thread post where a user by the name of Adam Sneed provided a adm file, which if you are unaware create configuration areas within GPMC to manage workstation. If you also know GPO’s generally when pushed down to client machines are nothing more then registry changes. So opening up the shared adm file from Adam shows the following:

CLASS User

CATEGORY !!Custom

CATEGORY !!ExplorerExtras

 POLICY !!HideNetworkInExplorer
 KEYNAME "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\NonEnum"
 EXPLAIN !!HideNetworkInExplorer_Help
 VALUENAME "{F02C1A0D-BE21-4350-88B0-7367FC96EF3C}"
 VALUEON NUMERIC 1
 VALUEOFF NUMERIC 0
 END POLICY

END CATEGORY

END CATEGORY

[strings]
 Custom="Custom Policies"
 ExplorerExtras="Windows Explorer Extra's"
 HideNetworkInExplorer="Hide the Network Icon in Explorer 2008/Vista/Windows 7"
 HideNetworkInExplorer_Help="Enable this to hide the netowrk icon, disable or unconfigure to show the network icon."

As you can see the key we are interested in is “SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\NonEnum”

Checking it out manually on the client machine is HKLM, which I later found out is directly answered in this TechNet post.

Doh

MSI installer – Network Resource Unavailable

The Start

The other day my boss came in with a colleagues laptop and told me that the VPN software failed to update, and by fail to update completely removed the old version and didn’t update to the latest version. Checking the laptops ‘Programs and Features’ sure enough showed no signs of the application.

I simply grabbed the latest version of the software installer and attempt to reinstall the application, yet to my dismay the latest installer complains with the following error ‘The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.’ How insightful…

I figured it was a registry issue, as the registry is known to hold old settings from applications and do not get cleaned up properly. This place can be a cease pool on old machines that have been constantly upgraded.

The Dig

There are plenty of references online when it comes to this error. The main one people reference is the HKLM/Software/Classes/installer/products.

Even though I cleaned everything in this based on the application I was installing, it was still failing with with same error.

The Answer

Lucky for me it kept specifying what it was expecting for a network path, I decided to search the registry based on this, and found there was a key.

After removing the parent GUID based key, the installer ran successfully.

If my memory serves me correctly I believe the problematic key was under:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products