Azure AD and the ADConnect

*Note this is not supported. Installing Azure AD Sync on a Core server but it appears it does work.

Here’s what I did, I found this MS doc for reference:

  1. I followed this to guide me to make the “primary” tenant.
    no, I did not check either checkbox, **** em!
  2. I read this content to understand the tenant hierarchy.
  3. I added a custom domain (, it said, sure no problem no federation issues, just verify. (Create a TXT record on the registrar to verify you own domain.)
    *refresh the page and the status will update accordingly.
  4.  I proceeded to download the Azure AD Connect msi file via the provided link after adding the custom domain.
  5. Install: (This was on Server 2016 Core)

2015.. interesting…

Click Accept Next.

Enter the Credentials from Step 1 (or enter the credentials provided by your MSP/CSP/VAR.

Enter the credentials of the local domain, enterprise admin account.

If you wish to do a hybrid Exchange setup check the second checkbox, Not sure how to configure this later but I’m sure there is a way. At this time that was not part of this post’s goals.

There was one snippet I missed, it appears to install a SQL express on the DC.

Then it appears to install a dedicated service.

This is Ground Control to Major Tom…

This is Major Tom to Ground Control… You’ve really made the grade!

They got all my passwords!

wait … it worked…. like what? No Errors?… No Service account creations? It actually just worked?…

Goto azure portal login, use my on prem credentials… and it logged me in….

I’m kind of mind blown right now. Well Guess on the next post can cover possibly playing with M365 services. Stay tuned. 😀

Make Sure your DFSR is working!

This one is kind of interesting. I use a replicated test environment to validate things, it works great. I was using the domains sysvol to quickly copy some text between member servers, however to my amazement I was not seeing the same contents from two different member servers even though both of them validated their security with my domain (nltest /sc_verify:domain)…

It wasn’t until I checked both DC’s that I noticed one member server was seeing a SYSVOL from DC 1 and the other member server was seeing contents from SYSVOL from DC2.

Now, all DC’s have the same SYSVOl contents right?! So what gives?

You may have already guessed it, DFSR issues…. if you know the title didn’t give anything away…

Which lead me to this nice MS support page.

The most important line from it is this…

For /f %i IN ('dsquery server -o rdn') do @echo %i && @wmic /node:"%i" /namespace:\\root\microsoftdfs path dfsrreplicatedfolderinfo WHERE replicatedfoldername='SYSVOL share' get replicationgroupname,replicatedfoldername,state

with this my DC’s reported a state of 2 (well that could explain the diff I was seeing)

which lead me to this nice MS Support page. 🙂 These are usually better than most I’ll admit. I followed the steps on “How to perform an authoritative synchronization of DFSR-replicated SYSVOL (like “D4″ for FRS)”

Until I realized that core doesn’t come with DFSR mgmt tools, even if you install the AD role… So for the most part I skipped the steps stating run “DFSRDIAG POLLAD” cause it’ll fail to run, as it does not exist

Maybe some one out there is smart enough to know the answer…