CU update not Showing in WSUS

The Story

Today was a bit annoying…

I did my usual updates sync, and approve required updates, and in the past this has included CU’s without much fuss. However today I did my usual and ran check for updates on a member machine, returned clean (which i was expecting as per the results on WSUS console) and then I did the followup “Check for updates from Microsoft Updates” to my dismay the server stated an update was available a CU (KB4516061)… ughhh OK…

Checking WSUS

Decided to double check WSUS, to my dismay, re-syncing, and checking unapproved updates yielded no new updates. But I know there’s a new CU/// what gives?

Doing some reseach I find this is nothing really new and has been a problem for a while due to what could be multiple problems, including apparently packaging certain updates into other updates… how lovely.

As the main answer from that one says you can Import them… Ughhh fine…

*Expectation* Download MSU, click Import update, update gets imported to WSUS, and approve.

*Reality* Well reality is generally always worse then the expectations…

Importing Update into WSUS

So I downloaded the 1.5 Gig KB from MS Catalog and on my MMC snap-in click Import update… What do I get, a Windows Explorer popup asking me where the msu file I want to import is… NO… a link to the MS Catalog website…

Ughh… I already downloaded it what gives…

after a bit more research (honestly software should not be this non-intuitive, but that’s how old software was… non-intuitive…) turns out this “Import Updates” is not even designed for remote use (uhhh isn’t that the whole point of MMC Snap-ins?!?!?) Anyway, OK so people state you have to use it directly on the WSUS server….

FINE,  Log directly into the server and open the WSUS console, click “Import Updates” IE opens and page can’t be loaded. Strange checking the IE security settings the site attempting to be navigated should be trusted.

Even grabbing the direct catalog link and pasting it in this IE window only gave me the option to Download, not “add” and then “view basket”. It turns out the option to add only becomes available after an ActiveX install for something.

Originally I was not getting this, it wasn’t until I read this , I found a golden egg on Technet, and very carefully read the answer:

MS WSUS Product Team:

“Just to let you know, a statement from the WSUS Product Team has been published: WSUS Catalog import failures

“We are aware of the issue and presently working on a fix. In the meantime, the following workarounds can be used to unblock your deployment:

After clicking on the “Import Updates…” option in the WSUS console, an Internet Explorer window will open on the following URL: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/… &Protocol=1.20
Before proceeding with importing the updates, change the “1.20” protocol value in the URL to the previous protocol value “1.8”. The URL should look like this when you’re done: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/… &Protocol=1.8″

Uhhh ok… so it turns out on the initial pop-up where you get the Windows can’t display this page:

Change end number to 1.8

Yes, and Yes

Once this page loads, you can add the Active X control at the bottom:

Now you get the add, and view basket, and finally get the import option:

Well that was an annoying morning…

New-MailboxImportRequest Failed

This is going to be another short post.

Working on an Exchange migration this weekend, I was using our backup software to simply export users mailbox’s from the most recent backup of your old Exchange server, then importing them into the new Exchange server for each mailbox after creation.

I would have loved to have simply selected each user as a whole and import those pst files. However from testing showed it simply created a sub item with the users name and all their folders, instead of properly placing them under the primary parent hierarchy. So I was forced to export Each item individually (Inbox, Sent Items,Drafts, Etc) and Import them. I initially didn’t script this as there were only about 30-40 users I had to migrate, i figured it was easier to just go through the wizards… until I discovered some users created folders outside of their Inbox! Ohhh boy…. Anyway, turns out if you exceed 9 imports for a single mailbox without specifying a special name for it (even after they succeed) you will get en error as follows:

“The name must be unique per mailbox. There isn’t a default name available for a new request owned by mailbox xyz”

The solution was easy enough to find a good band-aid indeed.

Get-MailboxImportRequest -status completed | Remove-MailboxImportRequest

However sometimes in my case I found I was still getting there error even though I cleared all completed import requests (with default names obviously). I found out I was having a weird bug happen to be where imports where showing as Queued, yet if I piped them into Get-MailboxImportRequestStatstics | Select Status, they reported a status of Completed…(If you want all the details, pipe into Format-List, instead of Select)

Get-MailboxImportRequest -status Queued | Get-MailboxImportRequestStatstics | Select Status

lol I wasn’t sure what to make of this but there was 2 solutions.

  1. Clear the “Queued” imports that are really Completed.
  2. Give your new import a unique name using the -name parameter

I’ll admit though Exchange 2016 is more intuitive to manage then old Exchange 2010.