SharePoint an Update Conflict

So the other day I was getting my test environment replicated to the latest state of production. Now I did spin up my front end before replicating it, when I noticed it in the CA I powered it down and replicated it fresh, but after I had already replicated the DB server without re-replicating it, this was more than likely the cause of this problem.

So after having replicated the front end and spinning it back up, I went to make a site run from HTTP to HTTPS. So got my cert ready, bound it to my IIS site listener, go to CA to edit the Alternative Access Mappings (AAMs) and….

ERROR … “An update conflict has occurred, and you must re-try this action. The object SPFarm Name=SharePoint_Config is being updated by DOMAIN\username, in the STSADM process, on machine MACHINE-NAME. View the tracing log for more information about the conflict.”

Googling this there are a couple good references like this old one on the sharepointdiary even from SP 2007 so it’s a long known thing. Just not to me. 😛

This one also helped me as it covered the upper two resources point to older directories.

Resolution

    1. Stop the SharePoint Timer Service
    2. On the Front end Navigate to: %SystemDrive%\ProgramData\Microsoft\SharePoint\Config
    3. Find the folder with dedicated numbers and hyphens.
    4. Delete everything but cache.ini (make a backup if you want of cahce.ini)
    5. restart the timer service

I noticed when I went back to the CA almost all my collections were missing in the configure alternative access mappings. So I rebooted the front end.

After that I was able to adjust the AAMs without issue. Hopes this helps someone.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.